Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time is a precious gift

"What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it."
This quote is from "A New Day" by Heartsill Wilson
I am going thru a Bible study with the youth girls called Smart Girls Think Twice.  This week's study was about time management.  Now, I've never been bad about the way I spend my time.  I'm pretty good at setting lists in place to help me get as much accomplished in a day that I can.  However, this week with the fasting from outside influences (see prior blog),  I have found several things out about myself.  

#1 I have a hard time sitting still for any extended period of time (unless I have a really good book!  BTW, Thanks to Bama for lending me the 3rd book of the Twilight series, which I finished in 2 days.)  Now, my mom has told me this on several occasions, but I just figured that she's being mom and well, you know, sometimes you don't really LISTEN to what moms say!  (YES, I admit that freely!)  I don't know that this is good for me, to be all GO! GO! GO! so much.  It's just my nature to need to be doing something.  So, this fast is making me take a look at sitting and "being still".  I hear my mom's voice in my head quoting scripture: "Be still, and know that I am God".  OK, I DID LISTEN TO MY MOM FOR THAT ONE!

#2 I get bored easily!  I caught myself being bored at the Lord's Supper last Sunday.  Now, before you go off thinking that I'm a terrible person, I was bored during the "game" that Jason makes us play in order to determine which tables go first for the food.  I ended up reading a bit while waiting for our turn to get in line!!!!  I'm not sure why I bore easily.  I'm actually self entertaining for the most part. (Wait a minute!  Does that mean that I'm a boring person because I bore myself?!?) I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it is what it is!

#3 I miss it when I don't get to spend time in the day with Claude.  Now, I know we're an "old married couple" (as our youth are always reminding us!).  But, I really enjoy hanging out with him more than anyone else.  He's fun and he finds me interesting!  For example, tonight, we lit a fire in the fireplace and then we played Texas Hold'Em poker on the floor.  I LOST.  but, we still had alot of fun!  I think God smiles on us when we enjoy each other the way He intended us to!  

Well, that's all for now.  
A VERY HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO OUR FRIENDS, RANDY & LACI STRICKLAND!  
We love you guys!

5 comments:

Derick Shipley said...

So I was sitting w/ you at the Lords Supper, are you trying to say I was boring?

BTW....where is the Happy Anniversary for Amy and I today? If Randy and Laci get one, you have to throw on in there for us today....lol.

Derick Shipley

Laci Strickland said...

Happy Anniversary Amy and Derick :)
Your official "shout out" lol

and Sheila..I WISH I didn't like sitting still lol!! I love to just relax so I have to make lists to be sure I actually get stuff done!!!

Jenn said...

You are definitely not a boring person! I love your energy, and wished some of it would rub off on me! HA!

Oh, we could not find that book for Jordan, "Smart Girls Think Twice" B&N did not have it. We checked at two other Christian bookstores in town and could not find it. So I ordered it through Amazon. It hasn't come in yet, but hopefully it will be here tomorrow or Sat. :)

Jordan is coming tomorrow night (Fri) for your girls Bible study and movie. Shannon told me about it on Facebook. We need directions to your house. Would you email directions to me at jennifer.creates@gmail.com ?

Thanks! Jenn

Jenn said...

Derick, I can't view your blog...so Happy Anniversary to you and Amy...hope you see this on Sheila's. :)

Michelle Lodeserto (Santoro) said...

You are too funny Sheila. I miss hanging out with you in small group! That sounds like a neat study you're doing with the youth girls. : )