Monday, December 8, 2008

Traveling Light

I've been reading this book by Max Lucado titled "traveling light".  I must say that this man can write!  He's great at explaining things in layman's terms!  
Anyway, he takes Psalm 23 and breaks it up into individual verses, then he elaborates on them.
For example, David started off with "The Lord...".  OK, why?  To remind us of who God is.  
Bear with me because THIS GETS GOOD!!!  
Taking from Max Lucado's book "...the name I AM sounds strikingly close to the Hebrew verb to be - havah.  It's quite possibly a combination of the present tense form (I AM) and the causative tense (I cause to be).  Yahweh, then seems to mean 'I AM and I CAUSE'.  God is the One Who is and the One Who causes."
So, think about that for a minute.  I don't go around saying "I am."  I always add another word like "I am bored" or I am Sheila".  God doesn't do that.  He plainly states "I AM" and adds nothing else.  He doesn't have to!  

The more I read this book, the more I realized that memorizing Psalm 23 when I was a little girl was good, but I don't think I ever paid attention to what this passage of scripture really says.  So it makes me wonder how many other scriptures I've memorized that I haven't really "learned".  
What about you?

I will be bloggin more about this book as I come across things that jump out at me.  I've already highlighted ALOT of things, but my blog would become a book if I wrote about all of my thoughts on each thing!!!
Til next time...

No comments: