Wednesday, April 8, 2009

a challenging day!

I woke up this morning after a wonderful nite's sleep (which is rare for me!).  I got ready to go to the gym and work out with our trainer, Eric (7:30 was WAY TOO EARLY FOR THAT!).  I fixed myself a couple pieces of toast (with peanut butter on them! YUM!!!  and good protein for work out time too!).  Once I was done, Claude was done eating his breakfast too and he decided to "measure" himself to see how much progress he's made in the last 3 1/2 weeks.  I was so proud of him!  He's lost 5 inches around his waist!  THEN,  I did something extremely stupid...I chose to "measure" myself too.  BAD IDEA.  It appears that I haven't lost any inches around my waist.  OK, I thought to myself, maybe I measured wrong. (is that even possible?!?)  So, I measured my hips and my chest.  REALLY BAD IDEA.  They appeared to be the same too.  
So, this was how I went to the gym this morning...with the thought that I've been working so hard, 5 days a week, watching everything I eat, counting calories, eating extra protein, taking extra vitamins, and nothing.  So, I worked out (had to go to the bathroom a couple times and "compose" myself!  I know, it sounds silly.  I just felt awful and I couldn't seem to get it out of my head.  Usually, I can literally talk myself up and tell myself to not think about it and keep pushing thru.  Not this time.  I had a mental moment.  The funny thing is, the whole time I felt like crying, screaming, complaining, etc.  I kept hearing a verse in my head.  Galatians 6:9 tells us "Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."  OK, it's only been 3 1/2 weeks.  I still have April, May, and June to be what I want to be!  I will keep on.
So, I went home afterwards and headed out to the Pitt County Special Olympics.  Some of our small group had volunteered to help and I was looking forward to this!!  It was fun!  The only thing that wasn't fun was how cold it was.  The day was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky. However, the wind was ridiculously cold.  I had a long sleeve shirt on and the Olympics shirt on over it, but I was freezing.  I left there this afternoon feeling like I would never be able to warm up.  I came home, Claude built a fire for me and I bundled up in my rope, blankets, and 2 pairs of socks!  I fell asleep and woke up feeling kinda light-headed.  I hope I didn't do something dumb and catch a cold because of it.  
Tomorrow, I will continue to do what I need to do.  I know in my head that it's gonna take time, but I will keep having to remind my heart!  Thank you Lord, for reminding me that in You, I can do ALL things!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Sheila, I can totally understand your frustrations. It is hard when you are focus on a goal and it seems forever away from you!! You are doing a phenomenal job to becoming HEALTHIER and improving your way of life. This is a life-long journey, not a short-term fix which makes it so much more difficult! Love you and we need to hit the gym together sometime soon!! You have inspired me to be more regular!!

The Nassars said...

it is very true that men can show progress quicker than women... it IS very discouraging, but hang in there! you are on the right track.
will be praying for you!!

Sheila said...

thank you both Kim and Valerie for the encouraging words. I was telling Claude last nite that it's going to be a forever lifestyle change for us.