Monday, April 20, 2009

So long Bruno...

Well, as some of you know, we were fostering a small horse - Bruno.  The 9month old Great Dane went back to his original owner last night.  I can't say that I'm really sad, just bummed that we couldn't make it work.  However, if it comes down to Bruno or my Jack-Jack, Bruno loses everytime.  You see, Saturday afternoon Claude was outside with the dogs talking at the fence with our neighbor, Sandy.  For no real reason (other than territorial dog reasons), Jack-Jack and Bruno got into it.  I mean, they REALLY got into it.  It was so bad, that Claude finally got Jack-Jack away from Bruno, but not before he ended up with a hole in his shoulder (Jack, NOT Claude).  Claude said that Jack-Jack just wouldn't back down and Bruno got ahold of his collar.  He said that Jack-Jack got slung around like a toy and Bruno's tooth just happened to be in Jack's shoulder during this sling-fest.  Anyway, it's probably a great thing that I was not outside when this was happening, because I'm pretty sure I would've gotten hurt trying to kill Bruno...
So, last night, the family that couldn't keep Bruno came back and got him.  I told the youth that we weren't going to be able to keep him and they were upset.  They wanted to make sure that we would be able to "visit" him.  In all honesty, Bruno was a very good dog.  He NEVER showed any aggression to anyone.  Jack-Jack was the aggressor everytime we had an issue.  I just couldn't take the chance that my Jack could get hurt again, or worse, be killed.  I know it may sound silly, but I felt like a mom who couldn't protect her baby.  My Jack got hurt and I couldn't do anything to make it better.
So, we are now back to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and a few tropical fish.  Our housesitter, Bethany, is happy about that!!!  She was nervous about the thought of having to deal with Bruno when we were gone!  

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Look at Bark busters for Jack-Jack. They are all over and train a dog . There training methods are better than petsmart and you will see a change the firt day of training. Hope Jack-Jack is okay.

The Nassars said...

even though I am not a 'dog' person, I know how Steph feels about Bella. She is definitely her baby and will do anything to protect and take care of her. Hope the shoulder can be fixed with minimum cost!

Anonymous said...

Poor Jack Jack hope Jack Jack shoulder is better. They are like children. Praying for Jack Jack

shannon Wallace said...

haha sheila that blog reminded me of the movie marley and me. haha.

Anonymous said...

So Jack Jack is the aggressor and you got rid of Bruno...That doesn't make any sense. Sounds like Bruno was protecting himself and Jack Jack started it. I would have bit him too. I am happy Jack jack is ok, but his attitude is the problem, not Bruno's. How big is Jack Jack vs. Bruno. Either way that is how things are handled in the real world. Can't back up your bark, you get bit.