Monday, November 23, 2009

It's Weird

It's weird how the older I get, the more nostalgic I become! It's also weird how the older I get, the more I realize just how precious family is. We are never guaranteed the next day with our loved ones. We are not given a promise that everyone will be together the next holiday. I am realizing how precious those moments with family are.
I talked with my Mom this evening. For those who didn't know, my grandmother (the same one who was in the hospital while Claude's brother was in a coma) broke her hip last week. She's 93 years old. She went to the hospital, they told her nothing was wrong. She went to a different hospital a couple days later and the x-rays showed she broke her hip. So, they did surgery and she's out doing well in her recovery. However, she's getting worse with her dementia; so being in a place that is NOT her home is very disturbing for her. My parents and my aunt & uncle are taking turns going up to the hospital and sitting with her so that she is not alone for too long.
It's times like this that I feel how quickly time flies by. My grandmother...
She's always been feisty and stubborn (probably where I get it from!). She's always been a very determined woman who alway knew her own mind. She raised 5 kids and has countless grandkids, great-grandkids, and great great-grandkids! (WOW! What a legacy!!!) I have distinct memories of sitting with her every Sunday morning in the back row of our church! My mom was always in the nursery on Sunday mornings so we always sat with grandma! I have such wonderful memories of her and our families getting together for holidays and bbques! It's an awesome blessing to have that!
Pray for her and her recovery. Pray that she heals enough to get moved to the rehab facility. Pray for my parents and my aunt & uncle as they share this honored burden of caring for her.
I told my Mom that I would be able to help if I didnt live so far away.
OK, I hear u Mom..."Be still and know that I am God".

No comments: