Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The lesson to be learned

I am feeling a bit blah right now.  Yes, the rainy North Carolina weather is probably a factor, but my real blah is coming from our house.  
Several things actually...first off, we've had a mouse problem off & on over the last 9 months and it's "on" again.  2nite, our dog, Jack-Jack chased one under the fish tank.  Now, we put bait out a couple weeks ago and I thought we finally got rid of them (yes, THEM...we had a whole bunch of them in the garage eating our bird feed!).  So, imagine my frustration when I go to our pantry and find a rice bag with a hole in it yesterday.  Then, Jack chasing one...I've had enough!!!!!  
Second, this morning we woke up and found a leak in our ceiling.  One of the windows from the 2nd story is leaking.  It's pretty bad too.  The water is running inside the rafters, down the wood, underneath the popcorn ceiling, and under the paint on the wall so that it's bubbling up and peeling.  Now, I know that Claude could fix this with caulking the window.  However, the rain and wind are pretty bad and it's suppose to be this way for the next 2-3 days.  So, he can't get outside and fix the problem.  We've tried laying towels inside the rafter, under the window, on the loveseat to catch the water dripping down the wall (so that it doesn't get on the wood floor and ruin it too).   It's so frustrating.  
Now, I know that we can't control everything that happens.  And, I'm learning to let go of the little things.  God has been faithful in taking care of us and I know He will continue to do so.  I just feel a bit helpless right now.  Claude is stressed about it and a bit nervous over how much damage it's gonna cause/how much it will cost to repair.  I try not to worry about that, but it's something to deal with.  This morning, after Claude left to work and I was sitting in the living room, I started getting teary eyed about the situation.  Then, a small voice inside me told me to look around and be grateful for the roof OVER my head and for the warm cozy house that I was sitting in!  Be grateful for the truck in our front yard that, although needs a bit of work done, runs and is completely paid for.  Be grateful for a healthy loving husband who adores me.  Be grateful for a happy marriage that some people only dream of ever having.  Be grateful for my family and friends and for their prayers and love that happen even when I don't ask for it or realize I need it!  So, my lesson learned is that I have an abundance of things to be grateful for.  
We may not be able to go out and buy new things.  We may not be able to take vacations and little getaways.  We may not have expensive furniture or a even complete dining room set!  But, we are still blessed and I will thank God for the things He has done for us that we've asked for (and even some things we didn't!).
Please be praying for these things if you are reading this!  "The effectual fervant prayer of a righteous man avails much"!
  
On a happy note, my puppy is so funny!  As I type, she is playing "follow the light" with Claude!  It always makes me smile!  Other than the surprise visit from my family 2 summers ago, she is the best birthday present I've ever received!  She is the gift that keeps on giving!!!



5 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for the reminder of being thankful for all that we DO have rather than what we don't have. It is hard to see that sometimes when the world is "raining" down on you!!

Love ya and sending prayers up for ya!

Sheila said...

Hahahaha!!! Love the "raining" down comment! Which, BTW, guess what song was playing on the radio this morning?!?!?! "Healing Rain" by Michael W Smith!!! OK Lord! I get it!

Cessie said...

I totally understand what you're feeling! Every time I start to get frustrated with our lack of vehicles, God reminds me that we are all safe and that He still has a plan for this all. Hang in there....you are not alone! :)

Caroline said...

I feel your pain about the mice. My house was infested last year and I think we caught 25. I pretty much would cry every time I came home because I was scared to go in my own house. I have learned that in this town...you must put out poison in the early fall EVERY year. Those rascals are terrible and will do anything to get in. I hope all your "house problems" get worked out sweet Sheila :)

Sheila said...

Thank u for the information Caroline!
I will make sure I do that every year!