Friday, September 19, 2008

Learning from our elders

I have had a really long week.  I know that our week in the mountains would be unforgettable, but I didn't certainly didn't expect what happened.
My grandfather has been sick with leukemia and because he was 89 years old, he was refusing any medical treatment to fight it.  He lost his wife 4 years ago.  He'd had a full life and was more than ready to "go home".  Thursday morning he did.  My grampa went to see his Saviour.  
I look back at the impressions he made on me and I have so many mixed emotions.  
He had always been a strong willed man (so I come by it genetically!).  When he believed in something or had an opinion, you might as well hang up trying to convince him differently.  He was solid.  He never swayed in his beliefs.   
He wasn't one to show his feelings.  He was never really emotional with any of his family.  His proof of his love for his family was portrayed in the way he worked hard during his life to take care of them.  The only time I ever saw him cry was when my grandmother passed away.  I realized that he really did love her and that he was going to miss her more than he could say.
He knew what the Bible says about money and debt.  He NEVER bought on credit.  Anything he needed, he would pay cash for it.  He was a good steward (some might say tight) of his money. He never bought frivolous things.  He lived very frugally.  
He taught me alot of things.  I love him and am jealous of the fact that he is home now.  We, the ones left behind, are the ones that are hurting and grieving.  He is at peace with his Father.  He got to see his wife and his parents.  He's gonna be waiting for us and someday we'll get to be with him again.  
Thank you Grampa, for your amazing love of God.  Thank you for the foundation you gave us by the way you loved God.  We will miss you, but we'll see you again.  Tell Grandma I love her.

3 comments:

Dean and Mary said...

Praying for you and sending my love. Rejoicing in the knowledge that Grandpa has gone home. What a blessing to know you will see him again. It's so nice to read your blog and hear about what an impact he had on your Christian life. I hope to be that kind of person for Eden as she grows up. I never had that kind of person in my life. Safe travel, and may God wrap you all in His loving arms as you grieve for Grandpa and rejoice at the same time.
Mary

Sheila said...

Thank you Mary for always having an encouraging word to say! We love you guys!
My grandpa and grandma will be waiting for us at the "pearly gates"!!!

Kim said...

Love the tribute to your beloved grandfather. Safe travels back--we miss you guys!!