Thursday, May 22, 2008

A couple of things on my mind

First, I am missing my husband bunches right now!  I just got off the phone with him.  He is still in Washington DC but will be home tomorrow!  I guess some folks like time alone/away from their spouses.  I guess I am tremendously blessed because I LOVE being with my spouse!  I love spending time with him, talking to him, hanging out in the garage with him, going out with him, staying at home with him, etc...  We honestly love spending as much time together as we can.  It makes me sad for people who don't feel that way about their spouse.  I mean, the Bible talks about leaving your parents home and becoming one with your spouse.  My husband is my best friend!  Thank you Lord, for a God-fearing husband who loves me, but loves You even more! 

Second, I am grateful for a church that I love and for the leadership in the church.  I may not always agree with decisions made, I may not always like the hours needed to make things happen, but I love Jason.  I respect him as a pastor, but more as a person.  He's real.  He makes mistakes, but he owns up to them.  He tries with his whole heart to follow where God is leading our church.  He has days when he's "blah" just like the rest of us.  (he teases too much, but it kinda reminds me of my brother, so I'm ok with that!!!)  JUST KIDDING!  Seriously though, it's hard for me to just trust someone to make decisions for me, but I am learning that Jason tries hard to make sure the decisions he makes are based on where God is leading.  He will surely mess up from time to time because he's human.  I'm just glad that the weight/burden of the decisions he has to make fall on him and not me! 

Last, I was reading Philippians tonight at small group and something just stuck in my head and I couldn't seem to get past it.  Philippians 2 talks about imitating Christ's humility.  
Verse 3 says "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceipt, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." 
The part that stumped me was the first 9 words - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceipt...
Think about that phrase, then ask yourself  how many things in your DAILY life would you have to stop doing just to obey that phrase?  Don't misunderstand me, I think the rest of the verse is great too!  But this one little phrase just boggles my mind.  It made me think about 
1 Corinthians 10:31 "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God."  
I'm sorry to say that so much of my daily habits/routines are selfish ambition or vain conceipt. Another thing that I will ask the Lord to help me with.  

No comments: